The highlights are :
- Most of the Freeview channel bouquet delivered over broadband. The quality is good. I’ve used it over a standard DSL line to a 42 inch plasma.
- Available initially over the Super Janet network (but see the note below)
- Delivered to a free player downloadable from the freewire website
- It is also H264 so I assume you can just run it through VLC, although I haven’t tried.
- Runs over multicast-enabled Networks (e.g. SuperJanet)–most core telco networks are or will be multicast enabled in the next couple of years.
You can read more about the offering from Informitv
I think Freewire is available to Bulldog DSL subscribers as well. So I would be interested if anyone who uses bulldog wants to test the service and tell me what it’s like. XP only, Mac support coming soon. (Apparently not right now–I’m checking on this. 5 November 2006)
(I am a non-exec on Inuk Networks, the parent of Freewire TV).